Friday, May 11, 2012

Old drawer - New planter

Several months ago my friend Ruth left me two dresser drawers that she no longer needed or wanted.  She actually stopped by some time in the night and left them on my driveway.  This is not the first time someone who knows me has dropped off an interesting recyclable and I hope it isn't the last.

I decided recently that I wanted to try to make a planter box out of one of the drawers for my back porch with thoughts of starting a small herb garden.  I even bought the herb seeds and will be using old TP rolls as the plant starters.  (Maybe I will post about that later.)

Anyway I knew that I needed to give the box some sort of leg. I tried short legs out of small wood boxes, but then decided it would be nice to be able to stand over my currently imaginary herb garden and wanted longer legs.  So today I went to Lowes and talked to my friend Keith who suggested deck spindles as an inexpensive alternative to regular table legs.   I like this suggestion and bought four "legs".
So after a bit of trial and error, I attached these legs to the old drawer and although it is a bit wobbly I
set it up on the back porch.  (I know I will need to add some brackets to attach it to the porch to stabilize it.)
It is a bit taller than I thought it would be, but after staring at it for a good while, I started to like it.  However I was still worried about the stability.  Then I remembered that I had another drawer!  So I tried this:
I think I like this even better.  It provides a bit more stability to the whole piece and I can use the bottom drawer for either plants that need some more shade - or for "gardening" supplies.  I haven't committed to the bottom drawer yet and would love anyone's thoughts or input.  So what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. OOh this is cool. Can't wait to see the catnip growing out of it!!

    ReplyDelete